Thursday, December 18, 2008

Singapore

The night we left Cairo was the clearest we were there.  The lights were bright and the contrast was high.  

Our shoot in Cairo went very well.  There were a few hitches, there always are.  But in the end, everything worked out very well.  
I forgot to include this photo earlier, but I really like the juxtaposition of the old with the new that is evident all over the city.

Our travel details continued to change up until the final hour; in the end a few of our group were able to fly direct, a few flew through Abu Dhabi, and Richard and I flew through Frankfurt.  When we landed it was zero degrees - a sharp contrast to Cairo, and a reminder of our cold dark days in Sweden.  Flying through Germany was a very long route.  In the end we are all made it to Singapore, with all of our equipment.  So amazingly it all worked out.

I can't imagine two countries that are more different than Egypt and Singapore.   In Egypt seems a bit like the wild west.  Where people do what they have to do to survive, and even when they don't they do what they want.  Singapore on the other hand is a country of rules and regulations, strict government oversight and control.  In some ways it feels too clean, too orderly - in that way it's a bit like disneyland.
There is not much traffic, and what traffic there is, seems to move pretty well.  There are some delays, but nothing like Egypt.
The view from my hotel shows this amazing floating soccer field.  They say it stays level, though we won't get to see it firsthand as there are no tournaments while we are here.  They are preparing for New Year's Eve - they are planning a big party and fireworks show.

Our hotel pool is beautiful.

They have something here I have never before seen - Fish Spas.  I have seen two so far.
I'm sure there are many more.


I could explain it, but I think the spa concept with this photo explains it all.  It seems to be popular.

We stopped into a Starbucks today for a coffee, but found it difficult to decide which pastry would be better.

So we passed, and only had the coffee.

In order to avoid more laundry issues on this trip we walked over to the mall and bought some essential clothing, to last us through the remainder of our shoot.

Today my friend and former student, Joel (who is living in Saigon) came to Singapore to buy some electronics.  We had dinner.  It was great to see him.

Tomorrow, after the pre-pro meeting, assuming everything goes well, we plan to go to the beach to swim.  (unless I can find a boat to rent to go sailing.)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Hey Chris-- great photos, wonderful prose. I can't wait to go to a fish spa...it's one of those things on my stuff to do before I die lists (it's a very long list). Have a safe trip home!